.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Pen Master ©

There is a fine balance between expression and control. Poetry in an excellent way to find that balance. Mastered meter and possibly rhyme, to avant-garde free verse is bent and willed as the poet's great message finds freedom on the page. My goal, to find this balance... Everything on this blog is copyright © by P. Allan Frederick and permission must be granted in order to copy or use any content!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Eastern Kentucky, United States

I am a passionate and compassionate Biblican who is also deeply into the arts. I can defend doctrines and bring people to God, but I also am a fine art painter and creator and have published poetry in several magazines including Pegasus, Envoi, and a hand full of times in the local paper. I also have a POD Poetry Book which can be bought on Amazon.com called "September Blue" by P. Allan Frederick.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A New Direction

Well, I’ve come to a conclusion about a few things:

1.) I really do have some not so bad poetry. (Which means that I won’t be giving poetry up any time soon, but sort of…)

2.) After this month I am going to completely focus on my graphic novel.

Although I am not giving up poetry, I am going to put aside all of my publishing goals and attempts with my poetry. But, I am also going to spend the rest of May sending stuff in for publication. I am entering about three contests and submitting to two or three different publications. I am going to give it one last heave hoe, then for the next year, June 2006 through June 2007, I am going to create and complete my graphic novel, “The Image”. I think about this project all the time, but put it aside to work on my poetry manuscripts. Well, I am almost done with my third manuscript, and have very little to show for it. I know that I could use some serious direction with my manuscripts (I will have September Blue on Lulu soon), but when it comes to writing poetry, I’m spent. I don’t have anymore to give. Sadly, there is just not enough drama and conflict in my life to produce anything, AT THIS TIME. I’m not necessarily looking for drama, but I’m not avoiding it either. But thankfully, little is going on with my health. Actually, there have been improvements with my kidneys and liver, and everything else is so amazingly stable that it is truly uninspiring. That is good, no, GREAT! But doesn’t make for good, tortured soul poetry (my shtick).

JESUS AND THE M16 is coming on along great, and I’m am feeling good about that project. There are a few illustrations that I need to do, and I need to hop on that. I want to be completely done by the end of this month. I mean done and ready to go to print done. On my off hours from working on my Graphic Image, I will be sending this new manuscript to different publishers to see what can happen, but that is it for poetry interaction.

Kind of. I was elected interim Secretary for the Flatwoods Poetry Society, and leaves me with some additional duties (along with the Newsletter). Being the new Secretary, I am doing a new contact info sheet, and schedule. It’s monotonous work, but I’m almost done. I am taking a completely new approach to it, and I don’t know if the long term members will like it. But, basically, I am doing it the way that keeps me interested, so, it’ll have to do.

I have a new poem for the new project, but I’m saving it for submissions for other magazines and such.

Well, like I said, not a lot going on.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you never have material again for your poems! What I mean is...I hope your health continues to improve.

Did you get a chance to see Miyuzaki's (sp) films? We have Porco Rosso from the library now and it's not as good as the other too but my expectations are pretty high now.

1:38 PM  
Blogger P. Allan Frederick said...

"Did you get a chance to see Miyuzaki's (sp) films? We have Porco Rosso from the library now and it's not as good as the other too but my expectations are pretty high now."

Is that the WALKING CASTLE guy? I am not familiar with who exactly that is, and not up on anime hardly at all. I like some it, of what I have watched, but neither manga nor anime are something that I give much attention too.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, walking caslte guy. I just knew you liked comics and thought you might appreciate some of his stuff. The movie Totorro is what got me hooked on him as the color and attention to detail is really really good. See if your library has it just for kicks. I just thought of you after seeing about 5 minutes of it and thought you'd like it.

9:52 PM  
Blogger salguod said...

Paul, it's good to hear about your health. I'm encouraged. I've been thinking about you and it has been good to see a few comments at my place. Poetry's not my thing, so I don't come around here as often as maybe I should, but I drop by occasionlly to see what's going on. Will you be posting updates on the novel here?

9:33 PM  
Blogger P. Allan Frederick said...

"Will you be posting updates on the novel here?"

Yes, stay tuned. It's getting exciting!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home