.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Pen Master ©

There is a fine balance between expression and control. Poetry in an excellent way to find that balance. Mastered meter and possibly rhyme, to avant-garde free verse is bent and willed as the poet's great message finds freedom on the page. My goal, to find this balance... Everything on this blog is copyright © by P. Allan Frederick and permission must be granted in order to copy or use any content!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Eastern Kentucky, United States

I am a passionate and compassionate Biblican who is also deeply into the arts. I can defend doctrines and bring people to God, but I also am a fine art painter and creator and have published poetry in several magazines including Pegasus, Envoi, and a hand full of times in the local paper. I also have a POD Poetry Book which can be bought on Amazon.com called "September Blue" by P. Allan Frederick.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Brown vrs. Forster

Last week I finished The Di Vinci Code, and this week, I started “Howards End” by E. M. Forster. My best friend told me that my taste in literature is more sophisticated than his. At the time I felt encouraged and edified. But, then I started realizing that it really isn’t a matter of sophistication, but a matter of having a deep desire to be well read.

Regardless, it hasn’t been an easy thing to do. Some of these writings from years, decades, and centuries ago are quite dry and slow going. It is a hard transition from Dan Brown to Forster. The pace of this book (Howards End) is completely different (of course). Anyway, I pretty much knew that going in. So I decided to give it a fair shot. I know this sounds like a bit of a negative review so far, but wait…

I read the first chapter, and it took me three nights to finish most of it. The first few nights I fell asleep on the first page. Last night I decided to really force myself to stay awake. And it was worth it.

Howards End is supremely written with a grace and beauty that I haven’t seen since I started my quest of self education. Reading this first chapter was a smooth, ease and brought a beauty in prose form. It seemed to be (much like Pound) poetry in motion, but not as dislocated as Pound. It was fastened together by sanded and level braces holding it highest jointly. I was fascinated, but…

The English are known for their pomposity and etiquettes. I could tell from the first chapter that the tone of the story will involve a great deal of that sort of thing. By the third chapter, Helen, Margaret, and Tibby’s Aunt Julie (Mrs. Munt) had taken charge of the situation pertaining to Helen’s engagement to a less sophisticate (maybe) living in Howards End. The main reason she goes to visit Helen , is because she doesn’t trust Margaret (the oldest of the three sisters) to say and do things that won’t embarrass them (at least seemingly).

It really is a nice read, but I can’t stand the pretension of English etiquette! Pride beyond pride pushing people to live in deceitful relationships covered in pomp. It drives me nuts. I know that much of modern England isn’t quite as bad as it used to be, but still, YIKES it drives me mad.

That being the case, I am feeling motivated to put the book down and start something else. Perhaps I should give it ten chapters instead of two? Perhaps.

Well, the point is that my books came in from the History Book Club. There are several there that I would like to start. (For fun, I start book and music clubs for their introductory offer of such amount of books for a dollar each, plus shipping, and no further buys necessary) Usually you just need to wait out the 90 day probation period, make sure you cancel the pre-selected books online, and then cancel the club. Then I find a new club and do it again. This cost me about $20-$25 each time. I get about that much every month for my allowance anyway. So instead of Taco Bell, I get books and music. It is almost a hobby, but it drives my wife crazy (and we are negotiating this thing now). Sometimes I still get Taco Bell, or the new McDonalds Bold blend (we don't have any coffee shops in flatwoods, so this new coffee thing at Mic-a-dee's was huge). But this thing I do with the book and music clubs is not only leagal, but completely ethical. These clubs advertise that there is no further obligation to buy, so I don't. For a really poor (richer than thrid world and such) person, you got to figure out how to get new things once in a while, or you go crazy(er).

So, I’m ready to start some serious non-fiction. I think I might pick Howards End back up in the fall. I’ll have the patience for it then. In the spring and summer, my attention span in almost everything is shortened.

My illustrations for “Jesus and the M16” are done, so now, it’s just a matter of formatting it. I am really, really trying like crazy to not get political. My point is the abuse of Christianity in the name of politics (left and right both have arguments, and I’m right in between.), and I want to just stick to the point. So, I am first going to let my wife read it, then my best buddy John, then I’ll trim it down, then maybe a few of you could review it before I send it to www.lulu.com. Just let me know!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to read it, but can wait until after you publish if you'd prefer, of course.

Love,
Matthew

2:55 AM  
Blogger P. Allan Frederick said...

I'll send you a copy pre-publish for sure!

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home