.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Pen Master ©

There is a fine balance between expression and control. Poetry in an excellent way to find that balance. Mastered meter and possibly rhyme, to avant-garde free verse is bent and willed as the poet's great message finds freedom on the page. My goal, to find this balance... Everything on this blog is copyright © by P. Allan Frederick and permission must be granted in order to copy or use any content!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Eastern Kentucky, United States

I am a passionate and compassionate Biblican who is also deeply into the arts. I can defend doctrines and bring people to God, but I also am a fine art painter and creator and have published poetry in several magazines including Pegasus, Envoi, and a hand full of times in the local paper. I also have a POD Poetry Book which can be bought on Amazon.com called "September Blue" by P. Allan Frederick.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Dog lick'n the Salt Lick

So I filled out a request for information thing on the internet about getting an Assoc. in Biz (book store dreams!). A man called me soon after, and we started talking about my aspirations. He was quite helpful and asked if I wanted to start school in June. That was so soon that it took me aback; but I thought, “why wait?” So, online we started filling out the paperwork for registration and financial aid. Within two hours we were done. I was getting quite excited. However, at that time, I still hadn’t had my e-signature PIN. So it had to wait till this coming Tuesday. Meanwhile, I decided to ask.com Axia College at the University of Phoenix. There were some warnings on some websites concerning this program. So I decided to seek some advice from some of my closest friends, and decide that this wasn’t in my best interest at this time to pursue this program. I should have known; one of the web pages, where you log on, had a warning on it that flashed saying it was a online telemarketing scam. I asked the guy why that was on there, and he said he had no idea and immediately changed the subject. Anyway, I have decided not to go for it. Frankly, to finish a degree would be great, but not necessary to accomplish what I want for my future. Besides, I am so heavily medicated that I don’t really know if I am ready for school. So, I am going to have to let Edwin (my “counselor”) know the bad news today.

I am not going to be ready for “Jesus and the M16” by the end of the month. I am going to give myself an extension (trying not to make that a habit!) of another month. The more I put into it, the more I want to put into it. I really want it to be the best, highest quality book that I can. It started off as a collection of poetry, but it has grown to something more, and I like it, and I’m not bored of it (a miracle within itself). I’ve cleaned up my drawing desk and drawing area, and now I have a nice little creative area in which I can create. My computer here, and a few feet over, my drafting table (art table). I have two full book cases (almost) in this room, and my wife stores all the ebay things in here too.

We’ve been talking about maybe picking up some books at a local library sale, and garage sale, and instead of having a yard sale, we could have a book sale. Perhaps starting off like this will eventually work into a book store. Who knows?

I’ll have to admit, that right now, my poetry juices are pretty deleted, but not my creative juices. I am going to work some magic with the manuscript and see what happens. If I had a program like QuarkXPress, then I could really go to town, but as it stands, I have to do it all in Word. That’s not bad though, because if you play with Word, you can learn a great deal as to what it is capable of; much more than what one would think.

And now, I leave you with this poem:

Salt Lick

Dog lick’n a salt lick
Mud running woman
run race pace to ‘git the mail
paved road slippery when wet
car passing a man in a hat

Dog lick’n a salt lick
Horses hay there or here
watching cars go by
big black Rottweiler catching my eye
neighbor one more and the
Dog is lick’n the salt lick

Blue with corrosion and wheels sitting
in the back of the
barn side to side with a magnificent
display of rusted metal in the shape
of a tractor. Then turn just a
little, and that dang dog is lick’n the
Salt Lick

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your peom. Seems right up my alley. I'm wondering if there is a deep meaning? I think it's just so much going on around this dog and it doesn't matter to him he can't get away from the salt lick.

3:27 PM  
Blogger P. Allan Frederick said...

There are some deeper meanings, mainly of the consistency of this dog (perhaps me) and it reliance on the salt lick (things in life that are not necessary but in subjugation of my compulsorily behavior).

By the way, I read your song on salguod.net, and it’s hilarious. You have much more talent than I think you think you think! Huh?

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home