.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Pen Master ©

There is a fine balance between expression and control. Poetry in an excellent way to find that balance. Mastered meter and possibly rhyme, to avant-garde free verse is bent and willed as the poet's great message finds freedom on the page. My goal, to find this balance... Everything on this blog is copyright © by P. Allan Frederick and permission must be granted in order to copy or use any content!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Eastern Kentucky, United States

I am a passionate and compassionate Biblican who is also deeply into the arts. I can defend doctrines and bring people to God, but I also am a fine art painter and creator and have published poetry in several magazines including Pegasus, Envoi, and a hand full of times in the local paper. I also have a POD Poetry Book which can be bought on Amazon.com called "September Blue" by P. Allan Frederick.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

About Poe

I was at the bookstore buying my daughter’s birthday present (tomorrow) and of course made my usual stop at the discount table. The best game in town is a small Walden’s in the local mall, but it is sure better than nothing! Rather I open my own bookstore here in Flatwoods, but that is another story. Truthfully, Carla and I talked seriously about it the other day. We just might pursue it! We’ll see.
Well, low and behold (I just love that term) they have the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe in a single volume for just $7.99. Well, how could I refuse? I had on my birthday wish list to have the poetry of Poe, but now I have the complete stories and poems. It doesn’t include any of his essay’s and literary review’s. I read The Raven for the first time since High School (20 years ago) and wow is it the work of a master. Talking about under appreciation, wow seriously, I under appreciated his work. In High School, which most of the time I was drunk, this reading was just another assignment. Now I can savor each and every word. I looked at the amount of poetry he wrote, and my first thought is that it wasn’t a great volume. But reading it, I realized that I was a boob for thinking so. His skill and craftsmanship so far surpasses mine, that I feel humble by my ASS U MEtion.
There is a part of me that pity’s Poe. He died young (I think 42 years or something like that) and he was reportedly pretty miserable life. He suffered from a tragic marriage, upheavals in his education, a strained relationship with his adoptive father, and rampant substance abuse. And ultimately, unless otherwise known, it was highly unlikely that through Jesus Christ he was reconciled to God. If the work we do as writers reflects what we know, then Poe’s mind was obvious.

I know that he is considered the father of the detective novel, inspiring many of his time. He also pretty much defined modern horror, without whom, writers like Stephen King and Peter Straub wouldn’t have a career. Of course there is no way to know that for certain, but it stands to reason.

Regardless, I am just fired up about getting this collected volume! Quiet the thrill. There is nothing like getting a book that you highly desire for a steal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home