.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Pen Master ©

There is a fine balance between expression and control. Poetry in an excellent way to find that balance. Mastered meter and possibly rhyme, to avant-garde free verse is bent and willed as the poet's great message finds freedom on the page. My goal, to find this balance... Everything on this blog is copyright © by P. Allan Frederick and permission must be granted in order to copy or use any content!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Eastern Kentucky, United States

I am a passionate and compassionate Biblican who is also deeply into the arts. I can defend doctrines and bring people to God, but I also am a fine art painter and creator and have published poetry in several magazines including Pegasus, Envoi, and a hand full of times in the local paper. I also have a POD Poetry Book which can be bought on Amazon.com called "September Blue" by P. Allan Frederick.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Book Contest

Somebody sent me a publication called Poets at Work. It is the September/October issue. This made at home publication is packed with poetry. I mean from cover to cover. In the front cover, the editor says that if you don’t create a venue for people to be published, then writers will give up. From what I can tell, he publishes just about everybody who sends stuff in. You can sponsor contest, add little snippets, and subscribe. I’m almost through the whole issue.

The thing I like about it, is that is has no pretension at all. I mean, I have been sending in poetry to various poetry magazines, reviews, and publications, and have received nothing but rejection. Well, I guess I have been expecting that (because of all the interviews I have read from other poets). So many of these publications are extremely selective, and that is their right. That kind of makes it more cool when you get selected to be printed. But in truth, there is a certain amount of pretension there.

What I am interested in, is the American Poetry Review book contest. The official title is The American Poetry Review /Honickman First Book Prize in Poetry (http://www.aprweb.org/bookprize/bookprize.shtml). If you remember, I was tossing the idea of doing a selected chapbook to sell at the homecoming last August. I am most definitely doing that for this contest. It needs to be 48 pages. That’s not a problem. The problem with Back from Dreamland (yet to be published) is that it is so ready for Self Publishing, which I would have to make serious changes to it in order to enter it into this contest. SO, I am going to dismantle Back from Dreamland, and rearrange some of that poetry, and mix it with some new stuff. It’ll be great. I have till the end the month to get it in, so I should be able to do it.

1 Comments:

Blogger P. Allan Frederick said...

I appreciate that. I think that it is just the time that is the biggest consideration. Well, heatlh pending, I should have the time. I worked on it this week, and should finish it next week. SO, we'll see!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home