.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Pen Master ©

There is a fine balance between expression and control. Poetry in an excellent way to find that balance. Mastered meter and possibly rhyme, to avant-garde free verse is bent and willed as the poet's great message finds freedom on the page. My goal, to find this balance... Everything on this blog is copyright © by P. Allan Frederick and permission must be granted in order to copy or use any content!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Eastern Kentucky, United States

I am a passionate and compassionate Biblican who is also deeply into the arts. I can defend doctrines and bring people to God, but I also am a fine art painter and creator and have published poetry in several magazines including Pegasus, Envoi, and a hand full of times in the local paper. I also have a POD Poetry Book which can be bought on Amazon.com called "September Blue" by P. Allan Frederick.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Third Place!

Our local Poetry Society had the Awards Banquet for our annual contest last night. It went well. Our club president played host, and we held the event in the banquet room at a local restaurant. It became abundantly clear that only a handful of people entered into different categories, for only about the same ten people kept winning over and over again. I only entered four categories, and had one winner, so that should teach me a lesson.

Next year will be different. I will enter all of the categories, and then we’ll see what happens! BUT, I am grateful for what I won.

I won third place in the Grand Prix category. The Grand Prix was only open to members, so it was direct competition. It is the top award. Basically, it’s any poem, any style, any length. I was honored to get third place. The competition was stiff.

Listening to the topic of these other poets, it is obvious that my school of thought and most of theirs are on different pages. Kentucky and nature seem to be the general and most popular themes and topics of the club members. The topics of mine are varied, but usually, relatively introspective. That could be because of my age. I’m younger and less mature as many of the other poets, and immaturity and selfishness usually run hand in hand.

I will publish this poem as soon as I submit my new manuscript for this APR book prize. I do this because the poem is in the competing chapbook. It’s the 26th. I pretty much needed to get it off today. Tomorrow will have to do, and just hope for the best!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I can't wait to read some more of your stuff.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home