.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Pen Master ©

There is a fine balance between expression and control. Poetry in an excellent way to find that balance. Mastered meter and possibly rhyme, to avant-garde free verse is bent and willed as the poet's great message finds freedom on the page. My goal, to find this balance... Everything on this blog is copyright © by P. Allan Frederick and permission must be granted in order to copy or use any content!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Eastern Kentucky, United States

I am a passionate and compassionate Biblican who is also deeply into the arts. I can defend doctrines and bring people to God, but I also am a fine art painter and creator and have published poetry in several magazines including Pegasus, Envoi, and a hand full of times in the local paper. I also have a POD Poetry Book which can be bought on Amazon.com called "September Blue" by P. Allan Frederick.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

What am I Reading?

What am I reading? That is a good question. I feel as though the appropriate question should be what am I not reading. I am just starting my fourth Kate Morgan/Dewey James murder mystery this month. Actually, it is four murder mysteries that I have already read, but only three Kate Morgan. I have also read “The Peanut Butter Murders” by Corinne Holt Sawyer. Although I like the septuagenarian protagonist Dewey James, I really, really liked the two female protagonists’ in the “The Peanut Butter Murders”; those two are also in their sixties. These two are really very funny characters, and make for good detectives and are good for more than a few laughs.
I am also spending three or four hours a week reading my Art History text book for school. It is quiet a bit to absorb, but well worth it. I am learning quite a bit about Roman Art and Antiquities. It is fascinating and a welcome education. I’ve always wanted to be somewhat of an aficionado when it comes to the history of art, and now at least I will know some basics. I have an excellent Professor. He is witty and vastly intelligent; and should I say extremely thorough.
The two recreational books I ordered with a little surplus student loan money are another Reverend Al Miles book (Domestic Violence – What Every Pastor Needs to Know), and The Essential Werewolf by Night by Marvel Comics. The Werewolf by Night is Volume One and covers the first 21 issues of the comic, plus his debut in the second through fourth issue of Marvel Spotlight, and his guest appearance in The Tomb of Dracula #18, and Marvel Team-up #12. Marvel Team-up is Spiderman plus a second hero. It is a great collection and a great deal of fun. Of course in the “Essential” collection of Marvel comics, it comes in a thick huge volume, printed in black and white, and printed on newsprint. That keeps the price down, but doesn’t neglect the art quality and story. What I like about these big collections is that you can really see the evolution of the comic book, and exactly how far things have come over the past thirty years; but that just makes for all the more fun in reading it.
The Reverend Al Miles book is actually the precursor to the other one that I read and felt so inspired from. I look forward to reading it, but the challenge will be the emotional toll it takes to read such a thing. The first one that I read,
“Violence in Families; What Every Christian Needs to Know”. took a great deal out of me. Reading testimonial after testimonial is emotionally exhausting for me, so I am kind of waiting to read this new one. However, I told my friend that I would support her efforts and cause, and in my deepest heart, I intend to. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t hard.
Now, what am I going to read in the future? Well, one of my bestest buddies from Columbus, OH has highly recommended Douglas Jacoby's book The Quiver. I haven’t read a Douglas Jacoby book in some time, and I look forward to it. Everything related to Douglas Jacoby can be found here -
http://www.douglasjacoby.com/ .
Then finally and most importantly I am reading The Bible. I do have to admit that my bible time has diminished. Well, I am repenting of that. I do have a sober understanding that an education without the balance of prioritizing my relationship with God can be toxic. I see everyday how knowledge can corrupt as much as it can set you free. As the old Stan Lee/Spiderman quote goes, “With great power comes great responsibility.”
I have been studying the concept of war (again) in a biblical perspective. I believe that I have made it quite clear in other blogs and such that I think that this current war is a terrible mistake, blunder, and tragedy. It was a created war that only feeds the greed of a select few, including this new stance the President is taking, which is not supported by the military, Congress, and the American public, and would only feed the machine better known as Halliburton. But the more important issue is that many “Christian” conservative (which definitively means “wanting to conserve the status quo”) people and leaders actually think that George Bush is somewhat spiritual. Tragic! I have come to the conclusion that to biblically support the war is a violation of the will of Christ. The scriptures make it plain that we, as Christians, ordained by God, are unequivocally supposed to lead peaceful lives, and in fact, create peace whenever possible. I know that the usual point that many Christians bring up is Hitler. Well, although that is a tired point, it is a valid point. There is no doubt that what The Third Reich was doing was entirely evil, and they needed to be stopped. But the reality is that not very many people are true BIBILCAL Christians, and the reality is that wars like that are fought by nations of a high moral fiber versus the destructive evil. The deeper truth is that no one and no cause including violence is the responsibility of a Christian. War is an action and reaction of the “WORLD”. Also, the truth of the matter is that if everybody were a Christian, there would be no war. That is how we know that war is stemmed in Evil, and not only the Evil of Satan, but also the evil of man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home