.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Pen Master ©

There is a fine balance between expression and control. Poetry in an excellent way to find that balance. Mastered meter and possibly rhyme, to avant-garde free verse is bent and willed as the poet's great message finds freedom on the page. My goal, to find this balance... Everything on this blog is copyright © by P. Allan Frederick and permission must be granted in order to copy or use any content!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Eastern Kentucky, United States

I am a passionate and compassionate Biblican who is also deeply into the arts. I can defend doctrines and bring people to God, but I also am a fine art painter and creator and have published poetry in several magazines including Pegasus, Envoi, and a hand full of times in the local paper. I also have a POD Poetry Book which can be bought on Amazon.com called "September Blue" by P. Allan Frederick.

Monday, October 02, 2006

Hot Dog Dreams

Here is a new poem that I have written. I am hoping that as soon as you read it, you will leave a response in the comments box. I am looking for an immediate response, or first response. I am proud of this poem and well, that’s all I want to say until you read it.


Hot Dog Dreams

told to like my new neighborhood
taking a walk, looking at new houses
and old ones
hearing panting through a green
painted fence that is chipped
looking between the cracks
seeing a dog, maybe
seeing a dog skeleton with fur on it’s
neck, too heavy for its, no his
own strength
staring at me between the cracks
too weak to bark and seemingly
quite thirsty
looking at an empty water bowl
wondering when the last time he ate was
getting angry at his owner for keeping
him like this
making kissy noises to try to cheer him up
growling and panting at the same time
wagging his tail after a while but having
to work at it showing effort
running home to get him something to eat
taking half a package of cold hot dogs
back to his house
taking a hot dog and throwing it over the
fence
sniffing in the direction of the hot dog
slowly getting up with hard effort and
struggle
stretching out the chain that weighs
him down
pulling the chain tight with his mouth
three inches away from the
hot dog
wanting to cry for making it worse
grabbing the other three hot dogs ready
to throw them
stopping myself and reminding me to
think first
looking for something to stand on
hoping that this time I’m in a better shot
dragging a trash can from behind his fence
looking over and seeing him stare at
that first hot dog and whining
making more kissy noises to get his attention
aiming at his chain post so as not to miss
tossing all three victoriously within
his reach
inhaling with little effort to taste
knowing he could eat ten more
walking back towards the out of reach frank
knowing I made it worse
plotting to make a daily trip
wanting to cry for this tortured animal
wanting to bring it something to drink
resolving to tell mom to call somebody
to save this dog
talking to him to let him know I’ll be
back tomorrow
laying in bed at bed time thinking about
that dog
wanting to lie with him to keep him company
wishing to bring him home where he
would be made king of the house
with dog treats and bacon and
raw hamburger making him
fat and rubbing his belly and
putting his old owner in jail
not sleeping not helping trying to wish harder
praying for him to sleep and to have
hot dog dreams…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home